Raw Chocolate News… Cornell University Scientists Discovered Raw Cacao/Chocolate Powder Has Nearly Twice The Antioxidants Of Red Wine, And Up To Three Times The Antioxidants In Green Tea
Researchers, led by Chang Y. Lee, chairman of the Department of Food Science and Technology at Cornell state “the reason that raw cacao/cocoa leads the other drinks is its high content of antioxidant compounds called phenolic phytochemicals, or flavonoids”.
Scientists have known for years that raw chocolate/cacao contains massive amounts of antioxidants, in fact there is no common food with a higher antioxidant rating. In fact recent research shows that the antioxidants found in raw cacao have unmatched stability and are easy to assimilate. Of all known foods, raw cacao is also the ONLY food which does NOT lose its Oxygen Radical Absorption Capacity (ORAC) over significant periods of time, making raw cacao/chocolate both the most POTENT and STABLE source of antioxidants found in any natural food.
According to research cited in The New York Times,” fresh raw cocoa beans are super-rich in the type of flavonoid called flavanols which are very strong antioxidants. Cocoa/cacao beans contain 10,000 milligrams (10 grams) of flavanol antioxidants per 100 grams – or an amazing 10% antioxidant concentration level”!
Some of the most active substances in raw cacao/chocolate are:
- Anandamide (a neurotransmitter known as “the bliss chemical”)
- Arginine (nature’s aphrodisiac)
- Dopamine (a neurotransmitter which bring about clarity)
- Epicatechins (antioxidants)
- Flavanols ( catechin,epicatechin, epigallocatechinMagnesium (for healthy heart function)
- Phenylethylamine (PEA) (controls the ability to focus attention and stay alert)
- Polyphenols (antioxidants)
- Serotonin (anti-stress neurotransmitter)
- Tryptophan (anti-depressant amino acid)
Tomorrow we will go over the vitamins and minerals found in the super food of super foods. Make everyday more than awesome, make it rawsome!