While cortisol is an important and helpful part of the body’s response to stress, it’s important that the body’s relaxation response to be activated so the body’s functions can return to normal following a stressful event. Unfortunately, in our current high-stress culture, the body’s stress response is activated so often that the body doesn’t always have a chance to return to normal, resulting in a state of chronic stress.
Higher and more prolonged levels of cortisol in the bloodstream (like those associated with chronic stress) have been shown to have negative effects, such as:
- Impaired cognitive performance
- Suppressed thyroid function
- Blood sugar imbalances such as hyperglycemia
- Decreased bone density
- Decrease in muscle tissue
- Higher blood pressure
- Lowered immunity and inflammatory responses in the body, slowed wound healing, and other health consequences
- Increased abdominal fat, which is associated with a greater amount of health problems than fat deposited in other areas of the body. Some of the health problems associated with increased stomach fat are heart attacks, strokes, the development of metabolic syndrome, higher levels of “bad” cholesterol (LDL) and lower levels of “good” cholesterol (HDL), which can lead to other health problems!
- Maca: This amazing herb/food is one of the most powerful adaptogens in the world. It increases oxygen levels in the blood, feed the adrenals and balances cortisol levels. This powerful herb is nontoxic and works at the root of the cortisol balancing problem, rather than masking symptoms.
- Reishi Mushroom: Lowers cortisol as it reduces stress. It’s very calming and actually performs like a sedative while improving adrenal gland function. When our adrenals are functioning properly, our cortisol levels will be balanced.
- Holy Basil: This cortisol lowering herb does its job because it’s amazing for the immune system and anytime the immune system is strong then the body naturally reduces cortisol. Don’t skip this one.
- Green Tea: Works to lower cortisol and stress because it’s extremely high in antioxidants and also minimizes the effects of environmental pollutants, inflammation and other forms of metabolic stress.
- Rhodiola: A good adaptogenic herb, which helps to balance out the body. It’s also great for improving attention span, mood and mental clarity. Children who have been diagnosed with ADD or any other hyper activity disorder will benefit greatly from this herb.
- Ginseng: Is a great adaptogenic herb which helps with strengthening our immune system and helps to overcome exhaustion due to psychological and physical stresses. This is a great herb to replace the false boost that is associated with drinking caffeinated drinks which create a physical imbalance and increase cortisol levels.
Wishing all of our friends and alumni the best health ever.
Robert Morgan – Bobby – Creative Health Institute – Union City Michigan